Saturday 20 April 2013

Let's play a game

Called "who can find the lock nut adapter".

Player 1 - Quebec Mechanic - hmm, let me think. It's probably in the trunk with the spare. (Rummages around, looking). Darn, I don't see it here.

Player 2 - shop boss - let's check the car. Perhaps it is in the glove box or armrest console. (Pulling out everything, searching). Geez, I don't see it either.

Player 3 - service coordinator - I got it, lets call the owner. (Dials phone). "Hello? Yes this is Canadian tire, we can't seem to find your lock nut adapter."

Adam - "oh, that's interesting. It should be in with the spare tire, below the floor at the back end near the bumper, with the jack."

Player 3 - "ok, we will check". Players 1-3 search again.

- 15 mins later -

Player 3 - (dials phone). "Hello, this Is Canadian tire again, we can't find the adapter. Do you want us to cut the lock nuts off?"

Adam - "no. Let me call the other shop who put the tires on to see if they have it."

Adam - calls the other Canadian tire, leaves a message for the shop manager to call him back on Sunday when he is in to see if he has the adapter. Adam then calls the current Canadian tire to say he will pick up the adapter. Adam takes the metro, walks to the store and gets his car. He checks to make sure that all the tires are in the car. They are.

Adam drive back to the apartment, fuming the whole way that his winter tires are still on the car. "I wonder where the adapter could be?" He thinks to himself. (Maybe spoken out loud). "There better be an adapter, if the tires are straight lugs I'm not going to be happy. Come on, they wouldn't have called if the tires weren't secured with a lock nut. I hope..."

At the apartment Adam decides to look and see if the tires do have lock nuts. He empties the trunk of the tires and removes the spare. He looks, no lock nut visible. He removes the tire jack and the black bag that contains the coiled "wire" that is used to remove the lug nut covers, a screw driver and tire wrench.

But wait, what does he feel in the upper pouch of the bag. THE ADAPTER!

And this is why I prefer to do my own car maintenance. At least I know when I'm not competent to perform a task or if I have the proper tools...

I guess I will try take two tomorrow. Let's try Costco who doesn't do appointments. I'll make sure to get there 30 mins before they open so I can get in first thing.

Adam is still shaking his head.



1 comment: