Monday 17 March 2014

Happy St Paddy's day!

So, I had this big rant all written up and was ready to post. But then thought "why be so negative? Things aren't that bad, it's sunny out during the day, warm and you are not wearing socks. Sure work is... "Work" (word chosen for the sake of my readers). 

But what fun is that?  So:

Dear diary,

What to write... 

It's work day 2.5 (calendar day 4.5) of my stay down here. In the 20 work hours I have been here I've worked 34 hrs and find I accomplish more in my hotel room than at the facility. Culprit? Production who doesn't want to work and wants absolutely everything laid out for them. Then when it is laid out, the first minor hiccup they throw up their hands and raise the alarms. 

I guess I should get used to this in Engineering, being the scapegoat for everything. But:

1.  Is it my problem that you did not order all the test apparatus that was denied months ago?  No. 

2. Is it my problem that your customer keeps requesting changes and you keep abiding by their request after "many" additional hours have been spent?  No. 

3. Is it my problem that you don't know how long (or even where you are at) it will take you to finish?  No. 

4. Is it my problem that you can't build a realistic schedule and maintain it? Even after I continue to give you key milestones and how long we need to wrap things up?  Um, no. 

Yes I'm frustrated. The 34 hrs I've worked here have been spent 25% on two projects and essentially started and completed two reports. The remaining 75% has been spent supporting these guys down here. And I feel like I have gotten no where. I have 3 things to finish while here, I need to get to those. 

All I want to do is finish this project that is already 4 months late and 3 times over budget. We all need to move on from this project, for our sanity. 

Plus the operator needs their airplane to continue to service the public who need medevac services. 

#endrant


As I stated in the preamble to this novel, it's not that bad. The light is at the end of the tunnel and there really isn't much I can do but stand my ground and provide answers. After all, that is why they wanted me down here right now - someone to make decisions and keep them moving. 

Well team, let's keep moving. 

1 comment:

  1. Great to hear you are having an interesting (I could use other words, but like you am keeping this blog for all readers) time. Happy Birthday. Brian & Janet

    ReplyDelete