Tuesday 16 October 2012

Traffic

Well, traffic was interesting today.  I left work a little early today to get my hair cut at the mall (more on this later).  I ended up driving right in the thick of rush hour I would say.  It took me 20 mins to go maybe half a mile on the service road beside the 40.  I thought, "OMG, how long is this going to take me to get home if I've already spent 20 mins".

Luckily, once we got through the traffic lights (qty 2) I was able to make it home from there in less than 10 mins.  So, 20 mins to go 1 km plus 10 mins to go the other 11.7 kms... I can see how this is going to be frustrating, especially when the snow flies.  Oh well, nothing you can do but wait it out.

So, haircut.  I got to the mall earlier today so that I didn't walk in at closing time (that was yesterday's issue - mall closes at 6pm).  I got the hair dresser / salon / barber (whatever you want to call it) and got in right away.  The guy cutting my hair must have been on a mission, maybe he finished at 5pm because I was in and out in 20 mins.  My haircut looks good but Gwen will be the judge of that tomorrow when she gets here.

What else is new... oh yeah, hockey.  I played with one of Francois' kayaking buddies, TJ, at the Jacques Lemaire Arena in LaSalle QC (driving route).  I wasn't sure what to expect but when I got there, TJ was waiting outside with two other guys (brothers, not TJ's brothers) who were all finishing a smoke before the game.  This pretty much set the mood - I will probably do alright with these guys in terms of skill level and fitness.

The arena was super warm, I was probably dripping with sweat after 3 shifts.  This doesn't mean much, I sweat walking up the stairs in the apartment building...  The game was pretty good.  Our team (The Mighty Chucks) had 13 skaters (3 full forward lines and 2 sets of D).  TJ put me on D - he asked what I play and I told him preferably defense but I could play forward if needed.  "Good" he said, "we are typically short D.  We recruited 3 D this year to back fill our 0 D last year."

Everyone on the team spoke very good English, most of the team was from the West Island which is where most of the English speaking citizens live.

The game was lots of fun, the other team had 8 skaters which meant we should have won but their goalie got lots of amazing breaks (stacking pads, paddle saves, etc) plus they had a couple very skilled players.  We lost 6-3.  I played fairly well, or at least well enough that the team invited me to play full time for the rest of the season.  So this will keep me busy.

Don't really have much else to write about, I'm pretty tired from last night as I got home at 12:30 and couldn't fall asleep until about 1 or 1:30 only to get up at 6:30.  Oh well, lots of time to sleep later.

No comments:

Post a Comment