Tuesday 9 October 2012

Eastern traveller

Well, I made it to Peterborough. The drive was fairly uneventful, door to door was about 5 hrs which is pretty much what Google maps said.

5 hrs driving by yourself is pretty boring, I don't know how you did it Dad.  Then again, I guess that is why you had a CB radio, so that you weren't stuck talking to yourself, carrying on arguments...

Here is a photo from the trip, I believe I was still in Quebec when I took this picture.

My route consisted of:


  • Aut 40 O (for you non Quebecers that is "autoroute 40 ouest (west)"
  • Aut 20 O
  • The infamous hwy 401
  • Highway 28
  • Highway 115 North
Traffic was as I expected, fast but smooth flowing.  At the turnoff for hwy 28, traffic was definitely getting busier and three lanes probably were going to remain until you get to Toronto.  There was some mild construction that probably added 10 mins to my trip.  There was a good section where they were milling that had us down to one lane and stopped for a short period of time.  However this was better than east bound traffic that was slowed up by a wide load that was clipping pylons ;)

Things I learned on my trip:
  1. Canada's first PM was from Kingston (pop quiz, what is his name?) (geez, I act like my mom, a teacher... Lol)
  2. Ontario uses roughly 150 pylons per km in construction zones.  This is for both sides of the lane, not considering the opposite lane of traffic. Yes, I counted these for 0.5 km and then did some simple math to approximate.  Really, I was thinking "they must have millions of these pylons" and, after my approximation, I would have to agree with myself (good thing, would have been a long ride if I started arguing with myself).
  3. I still love my car. Used half a tank of fuel for 450 kms.
  4. Fuel is cheaper in Ontario, prices are roughly $1.20 / L.
Well, I should get to bed, going to be a long day tomorrow.  Meetings mid morning and in the afternoon plus the return drive which I hope to start before 3:30pm.

Next post will be from the apartment, maybe with some photos.  Or, maybe not. Maybe you have to come and visit to see the place;)

No comments:

Post a Comment