Sunday 14 October 2012

Rainy day Sunday

Today was fairly rainy outside, which was fine for me.  All I wanted to do today was:
  1. unpack
  2. go grocery shopping
  3. get a haircut (this mop has to go)
I also was planning on going with Warren to the Montreal Canadien's Hall of Fame, at the Bell Centre.  Since I had a 24 hrs metro pass, as long as I left by 2:00pm I would only have to pay one fare.

So, after my cup of coffee, I figured I better get started and unpacked my boxes.  Unpacking went fast but I soon realized that I had to iron my work clothes as they had been crammed into my tubs for about a week.  This could wait until after the Hall of Fame.

I ate a quick lunch and then hopped on the Metro and rode from the Snowdon Station to the Lucien L'Allier Station.  The metro ride allowed me to type up my first blog (well, about 80% of it, I had to finish the rest while watching TV).  After 15 mins on the Metro, I got to my destination and got off.  I entered the Bell Centre and attempted to find the Hall of Fame.

As there were no signs indicating the Hall of Fame, I asked one of the Security Guards in the Habs merchandise store.  She told me that its on the opposite side of the building (of course!).  So, with instructions to go out the door, turn right, walk, turn right, walk and then the entrance is just before the stairs I headed to the H of F entrance.

As I entered the H of F, I see the name of another Metro Station (Bonaventure) which was one stop further than the one that I stopped at.  Oh well, it's not like I was late.  Warren met me at the entrance and we proceeded to go through the H of F taking various photos:

Entrance to the Hall of Fame

The Rocket's Jersey

Jacques Plante's contract with Buffalo in 1953
($125 per game plus $500 bonus if he is with the team
and the team makes the playoffs)

Jacques Plante's Mask

Game Worn Jersey

I couldn't not take a picture












As part of our entrance, we also purchased a tour of the Bell Centre - very worth it.  The tour lasted about an hour and took us from seats in the 100 level (cost $175) to the Press Boxes (which surround the entire arena) and then down to the Canadiens Alumni Room and Habs Dressing Room.

The view from the 100 Level (Bench Side)

The view from the Press Box

Jean Beliveau's Sofa

The workout room

The Dressing Room (under renovations)
Interesting facts from the tour:
  1. The Bell Centre is the largest arena in the NHL with just over 21,000 seats.
  2. Front row tickets go for $450 a piece.
  3. There are two levels of box seats; costs are not disclosed but you must buy into a 5 year commitment.  There are 8 "walkup" box seats that people/companies can rent for a game; cost = $12,000 for the game, there are 12 seats in the box and you can have upto 20 tickets.  This price does not include food or booze.  30 shrimp cost $100.
  4. There are some reserved press seats in the press box but most seats are "walkup"; press typically arrive 3 hrs before game time in order to ensure they get a seat.  Press eat for free, booze not included.
  5. The Molson Company sold the Habs to Gillette in 2001 for about $250 million.  Gillette sold the arena naming rights to Bell (don't know the year) who owns the rights until 2014.  Jeff Molson bought the Habs back in 2008 for about $575 million (this includes the team, arena and arena event revenue).  
  6. The Alumni Room is available for any Habs Alumni who played 48 games or more for the Habs.  48 games was chosen as the eligibility number as this was the number of games played in a season back in the Original 6 days.
  7. Jean Beliveau has his own sofa in the Alumni Room that only he and his wife sit in.  Out of respect, no other player sits on this sofa.
After the tour and after we finished going through the H of F, Warren and I departed ways and I returned to the apartment to go grocery shopping, make supper and then iron my clothes.

Pretty laid back Sunday.  I guess I'll have to get my ears lowered tomorrow after work.  Now, time to relax and get ready for another week of work.  And get ready for hockey tomorrow with the Mighty Chucks at the Jacques Lemaire Arena in LaSalle.

No comments:

Post a Comment