Wednesday 3 October 2012

Days 9 through 11

So, apparently I'm not posting frequent enough (ahem, Blair...).  Well, I have actually been busy these last few days.

Monday through today we had meetings with Bombardier, Transport Canada and a guy from Europe (from EASA, the European equivalent of Transport Canada).  This guy likes to socialize, so on Monday two co-workers and myself took him out to an Irish pub on the West Island ( ).  Because I'm a nice Manitoba boy, I volunteered to pick up and drop off Dominic (Chateau Vaudreuil).  Luckily, the evening wasn't too late.  After two pints of Guinness and some fish and chips, I made it back to my hotel by 10:30.

Tuesday was a little different story.  This was a more "formal" event with Bombardier and Transport Canada.  We went to a quaint little restaurant called "Chasse Peche" (http://leclubchasseetpeche.com/)(Map).  This could be compared to 529 Wellington.  The evening started with me (again) volunteering to drive (this way I had an excuse to not have to stay out until 4am... you think I'm joking, keep reading).  Reservations were at 7:30, I got us there right on time.  Dinner consisted of two seared scallops (delish) followed by blackened duck with Couscous.  This was only the third time I had duck and I think this should be the last - I don't think anything will ever compare.

Just to give some perspective here, you know the restaurant is high-end when:
  1. The menu consists of 6 entrees to choose from
  2. There is no choice of "how would you like that cooked" - nor does there need to be
  3. When we arrived at 7:30, the place was nearly empty, at about 9 the place was full.
Dessert was pistachio ice cream and pralines (I think; I don't really remember, all I remember was it was titled "Soul").  After multiple bottles of wine and many (many) laughs, we called it a night at 12:00am.  I don't know when the restaurant actually closes, but I suspect it was around 11:00pm or so...  As we were standing outside waiting for Dominic to finish his "fag" (aka cigarette), the restaurant sign/light was turned off, so I'm sure the workers were happy to see us (finally) leave.  Average age at this event was probably 40 yrs old. 

With Dominic in tow, I dropped him and one of my co-workers off on Rue Crescent which is apparently where there are many pubs/bars.  I then drove one of the guys from Transport Canada back to his hotel (at the Aloft Hotel) and made it back to my hotel (Residence Inn) at the lovely hour of 1:00am.

When I saw my co-worker today, he said that they apparently made it back to their hotel by 4:00am and got a whole 2 hrs of sleep.  I must be getting old because I certainly don't think I could have done that.

Today, I went for dinner with 9 other colleagues from Bombardier.  We went to a Lebanese restaurant called "Restaurant Chase".  Very good food and VERY GOOD hummus.  Tonight was a little more "low key" as we had a reservation at 6:30pm and left by 8:30pm.  Since the average age at this event was less than 30 yrs old, this makes sense (not!).  Since this restaurant was close to my future home, I decided to go to the store to get some groceries so that I can see what the options are going to be (pretty good selection) and actually get some groceries as the store near my hotel closes at 9:00pm.

That is all for now, time to make some sandwiches and get ready for bed.  Good night back in the 204!

No comments:

Post a Comment