Thursday 8 September 2016

The return of AA

What a (short) week. With travel, it goes by much faster. 

Tuesday started like any other short week - trouble getting up after a good long weekend, driving to work, meetings and seeing everyone's Facebook light up with back to school photos. A little disappointed there wasn't one of mom but that's fine I guess. 

That was about the end of a normal week. The rest was filled with airplanes and work - and work on airplanes. 

Tuesday afternoon was a positioning day, putting me into Wichita for an interior evaluation planned for Wednesday afternoon. I guess I could have travelled Wednesday morning but I wanted to visit a flammability test lab that we have been working with recently. 

Flights were routine. A 30 mins delay out of Winnipeg simply meant that I had 30 mins less wait time in Minneapolis. So only 15 mins wait time in the terminal, enough time to go to the washroom before the next flight. 

Somewhere over Manitoba 

Rainy Minneapolis/St. Paul

The plains of Kansas

Arrival in Wichita was on time - shortly after 4pm.  After a short 20 mins drive from the airport to the hotel downtown (in rush hour nonetheless), my travel day was done.  It was weird being at the hotel with lots of daylight left. 

I hit the gym and then made my way out for dinner to Wichita Brewing Company. 


It was too bad I had to drive.  The $2 beer special was very good and tempting. And it was real beer, none of that light beer stuff. 

After dinner and a short 15 mins drive back to the hotel, it was time to get some work done. Then at 10pm talk to Lola and then bedtime. 

Wednesday was quite the day. A short 30 mins drive was made to visit the test lab in Maize KS. The building was probably four times the size of the garage on Hanlan - very small scale feel but lots of capability. Definitely a small private run company with very capable people. I had a good visit with the engineering manager and program manager - they showed me their test equipment and we talked shop. Turns out the engineering manager worked for Bombardier in Tucson and knows lots of the guys I do. Small world. 

After our meeting, I went back to the hotel and got back to work. At around 2pm I got word that the inspection would be at 7 in the evening. Then at 2:45, I got an invite to dinner with some of the folks at Bombardier. 

Work, work, work, gym. Drive to Bombardier and then caught a ride with everyone (Derek, Mike and Julie) to dinner at Scotch and Sirloin.  

As we sat down, Derek kept talking about the last time he was st the restaurant and one guy order "the Ernie" - a huge cut of prime rib. The guy couldn't finish it. We laughed and joked that someone should order it today. We were all too chicken. 

The waitress sold Derek and I on "the tomahawk" - a very tender bone in ribeye from a small cow. She continued to gesture with her hands, a piece that would be the size of a large dessert plate. 

We ate an appetizer and told many stories. After 40 mins of waiting, the waitress mentioned that our food is almost ready, Derek's medium well took some time. We should have clued in here. 

More time waiting and then Julie asked our waitress if she could make the solid sphere of ice normally reserved for Scott. The waitress happily obliged, bringing a copper contraption and 4" block of ice. She lifted the lid off and placed the block of ice over the bottom part of the spherical mould. She then placed the upper part of the contraption and thus upper part of the sphere on top and let it do its thing. 

Because copper dissipates heat so rapidly, it only takes 3 mins to form the ice sphere (can't call it an ice cube for obvious reasons). It was quite amazing, I was in awe for the whole 3 mins watching the upper part of the mould slowly lower and water pool in the bottom of the contraption. 

Then, our food came. Derek's jaw hit the table, almost literally. The entire dining room went quiet and everyone stared. Our tomahawks were on platters normally reserved for the meat from a fully carved 30 lbs turkey. What did we do! There was enough meat on one plate to feed our entire table, never mind two plates of the same plus Mike's 16 oz tenderloin and Julie's 8 oz sirloin. 

I'm smiling now...

That's about 2" thick

This was me calling it quits

Stuffed

The steak was really good. Just way too much for a family of 3. 

After many laughs about the size of our meal, we went back to Bombardier. Julie gave me a quick tour over to the Flight Test Center where I got to go inside one of the C Series flight test airplanes, outfitted with instrumentation and equipment consoles. Quite possibly the coolest thing I have seen in a really long time. 

Then it was time to get some work done. As usual, the plane wasn't ready but I gave some instructions so we could finish the bare minimum that night. The rest I could do by looking at dwgs. 

I got back to the hotel at 10:15 and needed to finish a few things. Then a quick chat with Lola and I was out. 

5:45 came fast. The drive to the airport was another 15 mins, this time in pouring rain. 

Inside Wichita airport

Departure was on time. Arrival in Dallas was routine. Breakfast in Dallas and then onto Tucson, arriving about 10 mins later than planned. 

After getting off the plane, I made my way to the Thrifty rental car shuttle to get my rental. At the off airport rental counter, I gave the lady my name and she punched it into the computer. She then asked for my confirmation number. That's weird, I've never been asked for my confirmation number...

Well, turns out my confirmation number was for Avis - located at the airport. Boy I felt dumb. Luckily it was a 2 mins drive back to the airport. 

With my car (Dodge Durango) I went to the hotel, got an early checkin and got some work done. Then, I grabbed a quick bite to eat from Eegees and went to Bombardier. 

This plane was ready. Found a few issues so definitely worth the trip. 

I then spent the next 2 hrs walking around visiting with people from my medevac days - it was good to catchup. 

After saying my goodbyes, I went back to the hotel and hit the pool for a bit. Then I made my way to Guadalajara Grill for dinner with Jason. We had a great visit, and enjoyed some great Mexican food. I over ate.  

Now, it feels like 12:30 because that is what time it is at home. However here in the 520 area code, it is only 10:30. Might as well finish my beer and head to my room for a good nights sleep. 5:45 is going to come too quickly again before my 740 flight...

No comments:

Post a Comment