Tuesday 22 August 2017

Brats, beers and BMW

Today was a very productive day.  Productive in the sense that I got lots of other work done.

I arrived at work at 9:30 (on time).  I was told that they would be setting up for some vibration tests "around noon or early afternoon" so I wasn't expecting to be doing anything in the morning other than other work.  It was good, definitely got things done being uninterrupted.

There is another guy here from Bombardier (don't remember if I said that before) - he had a rough night last night as he arrived Sunday morning so he is still trying to adjust to the time change.  He showed up at around 10:30 or 11.  We chatted for a bit, I explained that I had a hard time my second night and that last night (night #3) I feel asleep at 8:30 and slept almost the whole night, so things will hopefully get better.

We went for lunch at the nearby bistro again, this time with two new colleagues, one of which I have been emailing and talking to in conference calls.  Lunch was good, gnocchi with veal and peppers.

After lunch, it was back to work.  Finally at about 2:30, they had completed their setup so I went and took a look.  We are starting testing tomorrow morning at 9:00 so I will need to be at work for 8:30.

The remainder of the work day was uneventful - helps when you finish your day when everyone else is just starting.

After work, I changed into some more casual clothes (shorts, shirt and sandals) and made my way to Munich to go and check out Olympiastadion (Olympic Stadium) and the surrounding park.  Munich was the host of the 1972 Summer Olympics (made history when 11 Israeli athletes were killed along with a Police Officer).  The drive was 15 mins - everything seems to be so close, within a 30 min drive from my hotel.

Tunnels

Car anyone?  (Mom is excluded, she just got a new one ;) )
The park is quite large - there is a small man-made lake in the centre, hills (likely from the lake) to one side and the stadium and Olympic hall on the opposite side.  The entire site is used for concert events and the main concourse has food trucks, vendors and amusement games.  There were hundreds of people walking, running, biking and rollerblading around the many paved paths.


Tennis anyone?

An old ticket booth (I really like this picture)


The view looking out at one of the lakes
On one of the hills you can get a pretty spectacular view of Munich.  At 265.1m high you can see the Alps to the south (quite hard to see in this picture but they were there).

If you squint and tilt your head to the left you can see the Alps
The view looking NE - Olympic Hall in view
[apparently I don't have a picture looking NW... at the sun...]

The view looking SE

The view looking SW

That is the BMW headquarters and museum to the far right - another thing to do when Lola wants to come here
I could have gone up the tower but the view I got from the hill was good enough for me.  Plus, if Lola ever comes here with me, we need to have something to do because we aren't going to any castles... jk.


Looking inside the Stadium

Structural members
I decided to get a bratwurst as a snack to tide me over.  My original plan was to get dinner somewhere near here but figured a brat was good enough and could have something else (small) when I get back to the hotel.  Good plan - the brat was excellent.  I also got a beer (in a souvenir cup :) ) and drank it near the lake while I watched the wake boarders.  





Clearly they haven't been to Morden for Corn and Apple... 


Last one in the row
After another 15 min drive back to the hotel, I attempted to find a parking spot in the garage (it is full here today I heard the lady say at the front desk).  Luckily someone was leaving so I got their spot.  I got a little close to the garbage can near the door and knocked it over...

No garbage cans were harmed in the photographing of this blog
After a quick call with Lola, it was time for a salad (and a beer of course) while I write this blog.

Tomato and mozzarella salad
Tomorrow will hopefully be busy with some tests that I have never seen before.  They will likely be uneventful but at least will provide some context on what these types of tests are like and what the vibration levels are.

Auf Wiedersehen!


Bonus pic:

Probably representative of 1970's East German Gymnasts...

No comments:

Post a Comment