Wednesday 23 August 2017

Catching up with old friends

Wednesday - another routine, quiet day here outside Munich.  Work was good, we did some testing today and will finish tomorrow.  I also continued to get things done on my to-do list which was nice.

I found out last night that two people that Lola and I went to school with were at Neuschwanstein Castle yesterday.  When I commented her photo, she said they were still in Munich so we made plans to get together today - on her birthday.  Lol.

I asked some of the guys at lunch for some recommendations where to eat downtown Munich.  They gave me two options - one off the beaten path and the other with good beer.  I figured I would ask K and J when I saw them to see what they wanted to do.

I arrived at the hotel and quickly changed.  I was going to attempt to take the train into Munich today, not knowing how many beers I would have while visiting.  There is a train station 3 mins from my hotel so it was rather convenient.

I made it on the train and started my journey downtown, seeing some new sights from the train:





Once downtown, I made my way to our meeting place (outside Hofbrauhaus, where I had dinner on Sunday).

A pretty cool church in Marienplatz

I found K and J without any trouble.  I asked what they wanted to do - good beer or off the beaten path and they chose both.  So, we went to the place with good beer first - Augastiner - a 2 min walk.

We ordered our beers and starting to chat.  K and J are on a 3 week vacation (quite possibly their honeymoon) - starting in Germany, then going to Slovenia and Croatia.  They both thought that I traveled to Munich a lot and were surprised when I said this was my first time.

After our beer, we made our way to Zum Drunbrau which was about 5 mins away.  We ordered more drinks and dinner.  J and I had pork medallions with a mushroom and bacon gravy.  K ordered the wiener schnitzel.  The food was amazing, I will need to thank Rainer for the recommendation.

Afterwards, we made our way towards the station that I needed to go to catch my train back to my hotel.  Along the way, we stopped and grabbed another drink.  Then, it was a short wait and a short train ride back to the hotel.



There goes the train
It was really nice seeing someone you know so far from home and being able to get together and have dinner - mostly so that there was someone you could talk with and feel a little more "at home" in a foreign country.

Tomorrow I change hotels in preparation for an early Friday morning flight.  Good thing I packed before I started this blog.

Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment