Thursday 1 January 2015

A day off the island...

Well after a late night out for New Years, a good sleep in was necessary!

This morning we did set an alarm to ensure we got the excellent breakfast at the hotel (ended at 10). So we got out of bed at 9:30, are breakfast then headed back to bed! I actually fell back asleep which is not usual for me, and didn't get up again till 11:30! 

Shortly after we woke up again, we got a phone call from Francois inviting us to their place for dinner and some possible skating. I really wanted to go see their house and see their daughter Ada, who I hadn't seen since she was a little baby. 

We continued to laze around for a while, watched part of the rose bowl parade, then decided we should get ready for the day. 

Finding lunch was not as easy as you would think on New Year's Day, so we took after Eric (Adams cousin), who we heard has been eating a lot of mcdonalds while in Montreal for the World Juniors, and ate there. I enjoyed a double Big Mac, while Adam just had a regular. 



After mcdonalds we headed off the island to a place called Vaudreuil. It was snowing a bit, which caused traffic to go quite slow at times, we passed one car turned sideways on an on ramp and got slowed down considerably but seems to be cleared up by the time we got to pick up speed again. 


Stuck in traffic...

We got to Francois' place (Adams coworker, and the family that went to the Phillipines). 

Their house

Christine and Ada (just over 2 years old) happily greeted is at the door. We brought Ada a jets touque, and she instantly had to get her hockey stick to show is her hockey skills. 

Ada opening the present.

Once she felt comfortable with me (in minutes) she handed me the frozen book, sat on the couch and told me to read. We read about 6 books while Francois, Christine and Adam made supper. 




I got a tour of their house and then we decided to go skating. It was still snowing, but we went to this little park, and skated on a flooded path. It was great fun, and not too cold, only about -3 and snowing. My glassss were drenched when we went inside to take our skates off! 





Adam shovelling the path:)

After skating we played a few games of spot it, Ada gave me a few pony tails, Adam read some nursery rhymes and then Ada ate supper and went to bed.

We followed with some supper (beef stew and rice).  It was an excellent meal, was nice to have a home cooked meal! After supper we had a game of Settles
Of Catan, where I dominated to the end, but ended up taking way longer to win, before pulling that last card I needed, not rolling a seven and building my last needed city! 

We had good conversation about traveling, friends, cultures and of course work. 

We are currently on our way back to the hotel, left at about midnight. We are almost there and I need to finish up my post!

Tomorrow will be an exciting day of quarter finals and hopefully some site seeing of the old port! 

Hope your first day of 2015 went well!

Cheers, Lola

No comments:

Post a Comment