Sunday 20 June 2021

AA on the road again

 I knew this trip was going to be in May/June of this year but I was really hoping we would be through this pandemic and almost back to normal.  Unfortunately, that is not the case and has me stuck here in Peterborough for an extra couple weeks instead of being able to fly home and then come back.  I guess I can't complain too much, I haven't travelled much in the last year and half so maybe this is payback?

Lola was able to load up the car and go camping at Hecla with our friends this weekend, all by herself.  For me, I was looking for things to do instead of work and what better way to spend a weekend than outside enjoying the warm weather.

Saturday was spent hiking along Jackson Creek park and the Trans Canada Trail.  A short 5k hike (round trip) on a gravel path which looks like it used to be a rail bed offered some scenic views of the creek, many trees, a spillway and lakes.






Lily Lake



I was summer smart - I brought a water bottle with me to stay hydrated and decided I probably shouldn't go "off roading" in the trails in the trees for fear of twisting an ankle.  I am getting old (and maybe wise).  Actually, the reason I decided to stay to the trail was mostly because there weren't any vantage points to get from the trails in the trees not like when I went in the trees in the mountainside near Neuschwanstein Castle in Germany...


Sunday I decided to venture out to see Lake Ontario and headed to Prince Edward Wildlife Reserve, about 2 hrs away.  I also decided to take the scenic route to get there, going through many small towns and past hundreds of horse and small dairy barns all while staying on paved roads until the last 5 km to my destination.

I wasn't really looking to see any wildlife, I just wanted to go and hang out by the big water for a bit.  I brought a small picnic lunch with me and my book to spend some time in nature.  Lunch was good, watching the seagulls in the water, looking at Point Traverse Lighthouse and listening to the waves crash on the shore that was covered with zebra mussel shells.

A lookout point, looking back at another point along Prince Edward Bay

Point Traverse Lighthouse

The view at lunch

Shells

After lunch, I took a small walk along the shore to see the other side of the point where the waves were definitely larger.  After crunching more shells under my feet along the walk back to the car, I stopped at "the beach" at the other end of the point and read a couple chapters of my book, ate a snack and watched the birds and a couple sea-doos go by.  It was a very relaxing day.

The Beach (looking South)





The drive back was equally adventurous as the drive out - going through Belleville and then along numerous county roads, past many farms and eventually back to the hotel.

I'll have to keep searching for other places to go for hikes in the evenings after work since I will be here at least one more week, and then some.  

No comments:

Post a Comment